Wednesday 6 April 2011

Crafty Individuals 'Simply Square' Challenge!!

So here is my second attempt, at my first attempt, of entering a blog competition!! I thought long and hard about the simply square challenge, and decided to alter a square box that had originally had a gorgeous silver ring in it, given to me on mother’s day by my lovely daughter. If I am honest I usually throw the boxes into a bedroom draw and they stay there for eternity (I do wear the jewellery though), so by altering it, perhaps it will stay on show somewhere.

Here is the box before I made a start on it. 





I wanted to try and keep it vintage looking, and pretty so I hope I have achieved that.It was all plain and just ready to be crafted into something fab. Oooooo and I should of said, I thought I would stick to the mother / daughter theme too as the gift came from my daughter whom I am very proud of xx





I started by painting it all over, both inside and out, with white gesso and then rubbed it with various distress inks to give it some colour. I then rubbed the edges with vintage photo distress ink to try to make it look, well, distressed!! For the top of the box I used a Crafty Individual image from one of their printed people and places books. I sanded it down just to take some of the light shine of it. I framed this with one of the Crafty Individuals die cut frames. I stamped it with the CI-116 stamp to make it look crackled. I then coloured it with distress inks and triple embossed with clear powder to give it a slight gloss.



I added some flowers, and a couple of tiny punched out butterflies with the smallest pearls for the bodies and of course a word from the CI-156 plate (with added glossy accents to the top.) I then put some lace around the edges, distressed and aged that with vintage photo distress ink and that was it finished.
I think I might make a mini accordion book to fit inside it, but that’s for another day!!

Sharon xx

12 comments:

  1. And from such humble beginnings a beautiful keepsake emerged ! Those flowers are lush and the techniques you used on the frame are fab - what a treasure, looking forward to seeing the accompanying mini xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning ! What a beautiful creation. Love everything about it. You have given me some great ideas I own a jewellery shop so have lots of boxes !!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous box. So beautifully decorated. Looking forward to seeing more of your creations in the future.
    Regards Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your altered box is fabulous! I love the lace and the roses. What a lovely reminder of your daughter's gift too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon, your vintage box is gorgeous, love the picture you've used and the beautiful lace and flowers. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magnifique boite!!!!gorgeous box!!bizz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sharon, I am so in awe at this project, what a fab entry for the challenge! I am so pleased you are getting stuck into crafting and have now got your own little space in blog land! Keep the projects coming!!!!!! Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely stunning piece, Sharon! So, so pretty. I love the vintage look. Looking forward to seeing lots more from you.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous box Sharon - loving it. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two gifts in one how thoughtful of your daughter :) such a pretty box
    Von

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete